Saturday, July 7, 2012

Computers

Due to an unfortunate calamity my accounting program ceased to function in the middle of May. It just decided to refuse to take any more invoices. Every thing worked but I could not print an invoice. The program was 6 years old and no longer supported by the company that sells it. They have a 3 year obsolesce policy. In other words, upgrade every year to 2 years and at worst 3 years or you have no support. I have a good backup program in place and did not want to upgrade because the later version destroyed one of my parts programs. I considered the parts program more important than the accounting program because if I can't sell it I don't need to keep up with the money. I have found a platform that will support the accounting program and let the parts program run at the same time so I am trying to get all of the programs on 1 computer for each of us. The computer I am typing on now has a 80 GB harddrive and I have added a 2 terabyte hardrive to put all of the parts books on. Although, I could have put everything on a 500 GB hard drive. I already had the 2 TB drive so I used it.
  My first computer that I bought in 1988 has a 20 megabyte hard drive in it for storage and it was huge!! Today, there are probably no programs that will fit on a 20MB harddrive. The parts book I just loaded on this computer was 6.72 GB. 1 GB is equal to 1000MB and 1000 GB is equal to 1 Terabyte (TB) So this 2 TB drive will hold 100,000 times more data than the computer I started with in 1988.
It would be nice if I made that much more money than I was making in 1988.

Eric Benton, Southeast Tractor Parts,More data More money?

No comments: