Saturday, March 7, 2009

Local Blood Drive

Thursday, just before closing time my other half & I went to Jefferson to give blood. My other half got me started doing this about 3 years ago because I have totalled one pickup and turned a tractor over on top of me ( another story) . Both incidents put me the hospital and I did not need any blood then. But, the next one might be worse, so I figured I should donate in case I need blood in the future.
I sign in and read the booklet and then answer the questions on the computer and sit through the blood pressure checks and the hemoglobin test and finally get to the chair where they actually draw your blood out. Then they tie the rubber stretchy thingy around my arm so they can find somewhere to stick the needle. The nurse covers the spot for the needle with Betadine and sticks the needle in and releases the clamp off of the tube and blood runs down the tube instantly. She takes a step back and looks down and about 2 seconds later she is standing in a puddle of my blood that is running down a tube that looks like it is the size of a #2 pencil. Two seconds after that she has me clamped off and there are nurses running from everywhere to help clean up my blood off of the floor and off the nurse. The other 6 people who were getting their blood drawn (including my wife) got a show and some entertainment while sitting there with a needle in their arms. Then after all this trouble, they would not stick my other arm so I could give blood. Once you blood hits the bag if there are any problems they cannot start over. So I have to wait till next time. The tube had a small hole in it about a foot from the bag causing it to squirt and leak. The nurse said she had seen 1 other bag leak before so I guess I am just lucky.
Another good reason to have good tools!

No comments: