Sunday, March 15, 2009

Tractor Pull

Saturday was our first tractor pull this year and in spite of the weather we got the whole pull finished. There were about 25 tractors there for the pull. When you take the weather forecast into account, this was a large turn out. I am sure most of the people there were rained on like I was on the way to the pull and a couple of times I thought this would be a wasted trip. However, while the sun did not exactly shine at least it did not rain either. I took my tractor "This Side Up" and Linda's tractor"The Bulldog" and pulled both of them because she decided to stay home where it was warm and dry. I pulled her tractor in the 6000, 6500,7000 pound antique stock class. I finished 4th(I think) in the 6000 pound class and I never did find out where I finished in the other 2 classes. I will have to wait to they post the results on the internet this week. There is a lot of strong competition in these 3 classes. I pulled my tractor in the 6000 super class and got 2nd place. Harold pulled my tractor in the 6500 & 7000 pound class and got 1st in both of the classes . I let him pull the tractor so I could see how much dirt was pilling up in front of the pan on the sled.

The concession stand did a booming business in hot coffee, hamburgers and corn dogs. I got a cup of coffee at 11 o'clock and there was a stack of cheese slices on the table that was about 10 inches tall. I went back at 4 o'clock to get a cheeseburger and the cheese had already been used on cheeseburgers! I had to settle for a hamburger. After moving all the weights off and on the tractors that hamburger was a good hamburger.

If you like to tractor pull or if you just like to watch we will be there pulling the 2nd Saturday of the month from now to November. You can check out there web site here. There should be pictures and results posted some time this week. Most of the pulls will be sunny and warm where this one was cold and misty. Some of us had trouble cranking our tractors. Mine would not crank on its own. Harold pushed me off of the truck with "the Bulldog" and then had to push me about 100 feet before I could get it to crank. Everyone there had a good laugh watching Harold push me around the yard. I noticed one Oliver pulling a IH 560 with a stream of white smoke coming out the exhaust, and I saw him make 2 laps before it cranked. Even with the cold it was a fun day. It was good to see friends and socialize with them.

Until next time
Eric Benton

No comments: