Thursday, June 4, 2009

Rims







I have known for about 2 years that I needed more traction on my SMTA pulling tractor. I have been working on these, Well let me correct that. I have had the components to build these rims for about 1 year. I have finally got the welding and grinding done and the tires mounted on the rims. So hopefully , I will put them on the tractor this weekend and be ready for the pull on June 13. These rims are 21 inches wide and I have mounted a 18.4 x 38 Armstrong tire. It really flattens out the top of the tire. I hope it will give me more traction. I seem to have plenty of horsepower ,I just can't get it to the ground.
The gray streak on the rim is duct tape. The area where I welded the 5 in spacer in is now wrapped up with a layer of duct tape to protect the tube. It is hard to get the rim perfect after welding it and grinding the weld level. This job took somewhere between 20 and 25 hours to widen the rims.
The duct tape trick will work on any rim. If you have a rusted rim roll a layer of duct tape on it and the rusted out pits will not cut the tube. I have one on my 3020 that has been running for 15 years without going flat.
Eric Benton, Southeast Tractor Parts, All kinds of rims available!!!

2 comments:

Larry McConnell said...

Eric I like those wheels! Hope I can see them work some time! I Guess you saw where Mr McPherson passed away. Never met him but conversed via email a couple of times. As to the wheels...are they the centers you can get from Stiener tires (I think)?
Keep on blogging!

Eric said...

I knew George and I thought he was a good man. I was sorry to hear that he had died.
The rim centers came from Miller Tires. The rims were a couple of old rough rims but I think they will do to pull with and maybe you will get out and pull in other places this year!!!! Hope to see you to Eric