Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Last Saturday I went to the Edmund Antique Tractor pull in Lexington SC . I got two 2nd place finishes and 1 first place finish. The first place finish was a pretty easy win(seeing that I was the only one in the class). There were about 40-45 tractor there for the pull. I had a good friend there pulling his IH tractor for the 3rd time since building a new engine for it. I built the carb and the governor for it.The IH tractor ran real well and he had good power in each class he pulled. In the 7500 lb class he ran out of traction and the motor did not die any at all. In the 8500 lb class he needed more weight on the front to hold it down. If he had put 200 more pounds on the front I believe he would have had a 1st or 2nd place finish.
Yesterday, I had a customer that broke both of the front spindles on his 1086 tractor at the same time. I have never seen both spindles break at the same time. I had 1 new spindle on the shelf as well as the bearings for the hub. However, I had to pull a hub and a spindle to get him going and I like to have never got the steering arm off the spindle. It was all I could do hitting it with a 10 pound sledge hammer to drive the spindle out of the steering arm. Today, my shoulders are paying the price for swing that 10 lb sledge!!!
I have started back on the JD 3010 engine. I finally found the right camshaft with the right gear on it to mesh with the oil pump gear. I will post more as I go on the engine.

Eric Benton, Southeast Tractor Parts, working and playing as I get the time!!!!!

2 comments:

Larry McConnell said...

Hey Eric. Michael and Shawnee brought their son and his tractor to our pull last week. He did pretty good for a yungun'. I guess you saw where Joe Drake passed, sure will miss him and the old 400. Enjoyed your post. Come see us soon!

Eric said...

Justin keeps getting better and better at pulling.
I saw where Joe had passed away and will miss pulling against him!
Eric