Monday, November 9, 2009

Richland Creek Antique Fall Festival

Friday night I went to Ward SC to the Richland Creek Antique Tractor Pull. I pulled in 2 classes Friday night, 7000 and 7500 lb class and got 2 second place finishes. All of us that were there Friday night like to have froze. It must have been in the low 30's. My second pull was about 9:30pm and I sat on the tractor and shivered while waiting to pull. The pull was over about 10:30 and the time the lights went out it got real quiet fast!!! . I spent the night in the sleeper of my truck and could not hear any noise.
Saturday was nice and made a perfect day for pulling. I pulled in the 7000 lb class and got a first place trophy. Then I pulled in the 6000 lb class and got a second place finish. I think that made a pretty good day! I was the only tractor from SC in each class. The other tractors were from GA and TN.
This was a tractor show and pull. There were over 100 tractors on display anywhere from 10 hp to 275 hp tractors with a lot of different makes and models on display. They were running a JD Thresher that was powered by a belt that was ran to a 2 cylinder JD tractor. There was a wood plane powered by a JD H tractor and it was also ran off a belt. They had the rear tire of the tractor ran up against a post in the shed to hold it in place. There were steam tractors running at the show. There was a sorghum mill running. They were actually running cane through a sorghum mill to squeeze the juice out of the cane. They strained the juice and poured it in a stainless steel pan to cook it. As it was starting to heat up they would scoop the impurities off the top of the juice and then they boiled the juice to make molasses syrup. You could see the whole process from the beginning to the end. They had a blacksmith shop where they were making wagon wheels. The hub and spokes of the wheel were wood with a steel ring on the outside of the wheel.
If you have not been then you should make plans for next year. If you are pulling anywhere in the southeast then this should be a "Must BE There TO Pull" event. It is a little different from anywhere else I have pulled in SC GA or NC.

I will put some of the pictures in the next posts.

Eric Benton, Southeast Tractor Parts, New Pulling Tracks

No comments: